Lifeguards protect their community by preventing, recognizing, and responding to water-related emergencies. In order to get a job at most facilities, you need to become certified, and most employers look for American Red Cross Certification. Obtain your 2-year certification by taking a Lifeguarding course from the American Red Cross through the YMCA of Greater Montgomery. Courses take as little as 30 hours and emphasize hands-on training, supported by classroom instruction.
- Participants must be 15-years old on or by the last day of training
- Participants must be able to swim 300 yards with a combination of freestyle and breaststroke without rest
- Participants must have proof of ID on 1st day of class
- Participants must be able to tread water without arms for 2 minutes straight
- Participants must complete a timed brick test
Participants must wear appropriate bathing suits for water skills, shorts for men and 1 piece suits for women.
- Cost for Members: $200.00
- Cost for Non-Members: $250.00
- Age Range: 15 and up
- Session Dates:
- Session 1: February 26- March 9 (M-F, 5:00 PM- 8:30 PM)
- Session 2: March 12- March 16 (M-F, 1:00 PM- 7:00 PM)
- Session 3: March 19- March 30 (M-F, 5:00 PM- 8:30 PM)
- Session 4: April 3- April 19 (Tuesday- Thursday, 5:00 PM- 8:30 PM)
Re-certification of lifeguards. Lifeguard must be currently certified or their certification must have lapsed within the last 30 days in order to take this re-certification. If a lifeguard certification has lapsed for more than 30 days the person must take the full lifeguard course.
Junior Lifeguard Training
The Junior Lifeguarding program is designed to guide youths ages 11 to 14 to the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course. The course focuses on building a foundation of knowledge, attitudes and skills of future lifeguards. Outside of normal class times will be many opportunities for participants to volunteer and work with the Aquatics staff.
The goal of this program is to provide information and skill training for young adults that are interested in babysitting. This program helps the participants to meet the challenges of babysitting by building the necessary confidence and skill levels that pertain to child and infant care. This course will provide youth who are planning to babysit with the knowledge and skills necessary to safely and responsibly give care for children and infants. The training will help participants to develop leadership skills; learn how to develop a babysitting business, keep themselves and others safe and help children behave; and learn about basic child care and basic first aid. Class will be held at Bell Road.
Babysitting is not just “watching” the children, but being responsible for their safety and well being. Babysitting is a big responsibility!