Safety Measures & Policies
What Members can expect
We take safety and health precautions very seriously at the Montgomery YMCA, and doing everything we can to keep our members safe. Please read our procedures below for member screening, safety measures, and facility information.
member screening process
- Members will be temperature checked, prior to entry to Y. If they have a temperature at or higher than 100.4 degrees, or if they answer positively to the below questions, they will not have access to the Y (14-day self-quarantine standards may occur).
- Members will be asked if they have had physical exposure to someone that has COVID-19.
- Members will be asked if they are suffering from a fever, unexplained cough, shortness of breath, or unexplained tiredness.
- Facilities will be sanitized prior to opening every day.
- Detailed facility cleaning breaks conducted daily between 1:30 pm – 2:00 pm. The facility will be closed during this time.
- Members are encouraged to limit workouts to 1 hour or less.
- High touch areas will be sanitized periodically during the day.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be located in strategic locations in the facility.
- Staff will wear face masks when interacting with members.
- Due to this Executive Order of the City of Montgomery, members must wear masks when coming into the YMCA, may remove masks when exercising, and must put mask back on as soon as exercise regiments are completed. These protocols are in place at the following branches: Wilson YMCA, Bell Road YMCA, East YMCA, Cleveland Avenue YMCA, Downtown YMCA, and Midtown YMCA. At all other branches outside of the City of Montgomery, members are encouraged to wear masks when interacting with other members and staff.
- Sneeze guards added at each front desk location.
- Directional signage will be in place to help members maintain social distancing recommendations.
- Social distancing markers will be in place in strategic areas such as entry areas and group exercise areas.
- Staff will be placed strategically in wellness areas to help coordinate member flow.
- Members are expected to use provided sanitizing wipes to wipe down equipment prior to use and after use.
- Water fountains will not be available including bottle fillers.
- Members are encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer.
- Facilities open will include Downtown YMCA, East YMCA, Bell Road YMCA, Grandview YMCA, Wilson YMCA, Greenville YMCA, and Wetumpka YMCA.
- Hours of operation vary by location. See branch page for hours of operation. https://ymcamontgomery.org/locations/
- Some equipment strategically placed in different parts of the facility for social distancing.
- Cardio and selectorized equipment will be available.
- Limited indoor and outdoor group exercise classes will be available.
- Limited water aerobics and lap swim classes are available.
- Locker rooms will have maximum people occupancy limitations.
- Pool Hours vary for each center
- The gymnasium will not be available for group or individual sports programs.
- The number of members permitted in the Y will be limited due to social distancing requirements.
- Free weight areas will be available on a limited basis.
Free Weight Area Guidelines:
- Members are expected to use provided sanitizing wipes to wipe down weights before and after use.
- Members must complete “sets” on one piece of equipment prior to moving to next piece of equipment
- Please be aware that the amount of time spent on one piece of equipment may be limited based on demand).
- Space in Free Weight area will be limited based on social distancing requirements
- Social Distancing (6 feet apart) spacing will be adhered to whenever possible
- Please be aware of the following services or amenities that will not be available in phase 1: Child watch, open swim, swim lesson instruction, coffee service, saunas, steam rooms, shower facilities, towel service or laundry service at Downtown Y are not available.
- Reciprocal or out of town membership opportunities are suspended until further notice.
- Guests privileges will not be available until further notice.
- Members who visit the Downtown YMCA must be 16 years old.
- At our Bell Road, East, Wetumpka, Grandview, Greenville, and Wilson locations, anyone who is 12 to 15 years old may come and work out with their parents. Anyone who is 14 and up and who has undergone a youth wellness orientation may workout in our wellness centers. Anyone who is 16 and up may work out on their own.
- We do ask as a courtesy to others, please limit your workouts to one hour.