YFL – YMCA FOOTBALL LEAGUE
The YMCA of Greater Montgomery youth football league is a 65-year-old instructional and recreational tackle football league played by elementary students ages 5 through 12 and our Flag football is ages 3 through 12. Our youth football program includes summer conditioning camps and coach’s trainings with weekly games and practices focused around safety, proper game fundamentals and individual participation. Through strong coaching and structured guidelines, we help every participant grow using football to create new friendships that help strengthen our community.
2023 YFL SPRING FLAG FOOTBALL – OVER
Letter to YFL Parents
Greetings Youth Football and Cheerleading Sports participants,
I hope this message finds you and your family healthy and doing well during this challenging time in all of our lives. Over the last 20 months, all of us at the YMCA of Greater Montgomery have been closely monitoring COVID-19 and its effects on our ability to operate our programs.
We have sought the counsel of the CDC, YMCA of the USA, Alabama High School Sports Association, industry leaders, medical personnel, Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, the Alabama Department of Public Health, our executive team, Board of Directors, and our loyal staff members and volunteers. Through the pandemic, we have been constantly reminded that the YMCA is more than merely a place – it is a community of people that cares deeply for each other and this bond will remain with us all long after the effects of this pandemic is gone. Please know that arriving to this decision required a thoughtful and lengthy process. We are thankful for all the parties involved.
The Y understands that many may have reservations to move forward in the current situation with a sports program, but we have heard from many of you that you want your child to return to a semblance of normalcy in a safe secure environment. We know there are many risks but feel confident that through proper safety protocols we can provide a SAFE and great youth sports experience for your child. Our safety protocols, as you see summarized below, have been developed in order to provide the best environment possible to keep your child safe. However, as we stated before there are still risks and each participant and their parent should evaluate the risks and understand that there is no way to 100% prevent contraction if you are not self-isolated.
Sports Safety During COVID-19
Our goal is to provide a fantastic experience while keeping children, families, and staff safe
Health & well-being of our participants and staff is our #1 concern
What Participants and Parents can Expect during Youth Sports?
Participants/Spectators/Coaches/Volunteers will be asked:
- If they have had physical exposure to someone that has COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- If they are suffering from a fever, unexplained cough, shortness of breath, or unexplained tiredness
- All Parents who are not members of the Y will be required to sign a waiver form prior to being a spectator for practices or games
- Coaches have been required to attend the Sports Safety Training that was held on August 14th, 2021, to ensure understanding of safety practices
- Parents are required to attend the parent meetings, date, and time to be announced
- The parent is required to be on-site from the start of practice or game until the end of practice or game.
- Face masks are strongly suggested to be worn by all participants (when not on the Field of Play), staff members and volunteer coaches and spectators (over the age of 5), participants, coaches, and parents will be required to provide their own mask. Tracking of mask when on and off participant will be the responsibility of each participant and their parent
- Social distancing of at least 6 feet will be required (for non-family members). This will be designated by markers on sidelines for participant, coach, and spectator placement (sitting or standing)
- The Y will limit when possible and sanitize when possible and provide proper spacing of all equipment
- Players, coaches, officials, and spectators should refrain from high fives, handshakes, and other physical contacts except to extend necessary-and only to the extent necessary-for players, coaches, and officials to directly participate in the athletic activity.
- Players, coaches, and officials should not share water coolers, drinks stations, water bottles, cups, or other drinking devices.
- IMPORTANT: Please no distribution of SNACKS for participants
- Restrooms access is limited to social distancing requirements and full “normal” access may be limited
- Hand sanitizer will be available on site
A confirmed case of COVID Protocol:
The protocol may change at any time based on CDC guidelines
- If a participant or coach has a positive test for COVID you are required to contact your Branch Program Director.
- Branch Program Director will immediately contact their supervisor.
- The supervisor will activate Protocol procedures.
• Individual who has a positive COVID test will be required to self-quarantine for 10-days.
• The YMCA will send an email or letter to all people that “individual” has possibly come into contact with (YMCA related only) within the last 48 hours
• Direct contact with the individual that has been confirmed to have a positive COVID test will result in a 10-day self-quarantine
• Contact with an individual who is positive, but the individual has had COVID Vaccination: if an individual has had COVID shot then they will be required to wear mask when around others for 10 days. However, in a player/participant situation where it is not possible for the individual to wear a mask due to strenuous activity the individual will be required to self-quarantine for the 10-day period.
• Individual games that are not played due to a COVID incident will be “attempted” to be made up however season time restrictions may prevent this from happening
• Games missed due to a COVID incident will NOT be counted in season standings
Youth Football & Cheer Shop Event
August 6 - Monday, August 9th
Montgomery Store Location
DICK’S Sporting Goods is offering you a 20% off discount throughout the store. So, grab the things you’ll need for the season and all the other gear you’ve been wanting too! Be sure to use the coupon linked below, as this is specific to our organization. The coupon is valid in-store on the dates above and should be shown at the register during checkout.
To shop online instead of in-store, use code TMSPORTSAUG06FTBL off your purchase of team sports equipment* and cleats only. *Some exclusions apply.