Wings Festival and Open House
Join us May 4th 2019 to put our local chefs to the test. Enjoy great chicken wings from our local competitors, refreshments, and a day of family fun with activities for children including bouncy houses and splashing in one of our three pools.
The East Family YMCA Wing Festival and Open House is a chance to come together and celebrate our great community while helping the YMCA raise funds to help those in our community afford programs and services in our YMCA who wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to participate.
Think your team has what it takes to be voted number one in our wing competition? Register to compete in what is sure to be a fantastic event for our YMCA.
- Saturday, May 4, 2019
- 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
- $7 per person
- Children 3 and under are free
- If you join the East Family YMCA during the event, enjoy a no join fee! A savings of up to $100
Team Cooking Supplies Checklist (not a limited checklist)
- Cooking Pot(s) and Prepping Containers
- Propane Tank, Coal or Cooking Oil.
- All Ingredients for your wings. If you are cooking with peanut oil, please disclose to attendees.
- Utensils used to prepare your wings (knives, forks, spoons, spatula, tongs, etc.)
- Cutting board(s)
- Something large to serve your wings in
- Tongs for serving
- Table cloths
- Cleaning solution for table clean up
- Latex Gloves for handling raw meat
- Hand Sanitizer
- Additional paper towels
- Two tables (the Y will provide one)
YMCA will provide
- 10 ft. by 10 ft. pop-up tent (Some teams prefer to use their own, please let us know if you’ll be using your tent)
- One 8 ft. or 6 ft. table (We suggest two tables)
- Two chairs
- Paper Boats for patrons
- Judges containers for judging event – 3 rolls of paper towels
- 5 armbands per team
You may pull into the parking lot/event area to unload. Then you will need to move to the parking provided around the East YMCA. The cooking will be done in the front parking lot. The parking lot/ event area must be clear of vehicles by 9 am.
- Hands and cooking utensils must be washed and sanitized Rubber/latex gloves are encouraged to be worn while preparing and serving your wings
- Bring wings and other perishable ingredients in a cooler
- Cooks are encouraged to wear hats
- No Smoking
- Please keep your area as clean as possible. Dumpster is located next to the YMCA.
- We estimate 400 patrons
- Keep serving portions to a minimum (The object is not to be the first one to run out of wings)
- In order for the wings to be submitted to the judging competition, wings must be cooked onsite.
- Feel free to cook other items besides wings. Wings will be the only thing voted on and eligible for the challenge.
- Event is scheduled to begin at 11:30 am. We will be opening the gates around 11 am. It will be up to you if you want to serve the individuals who may come in earlier than the 11:30 am start time.
Keep all children out from around the cooking areas within the tent area. If you see other children around the area, please ask them to leave the cooking area.
Winners will be determined by a panel of judges. Judges will have no knowledge of which teams wings they are evaluating. Your wings will be identified only by a letter. Your wings will be evaluated by each judge based on; Taste, Appearance and Texture. Each category is a 10 -point scale for a max of 30 points. If there is a tie, the tiebreaker goes to taste.
- Each Team must have their wings turned in to the judging booth by 11:15 am to be eligible for the competition. Teams will turn in 4 wings (in the box provided) to the concession tent.
- People’s Choice award will be determined as voted on by the patrons. People’s Choice deadline is 1:00 pm. Patrons may vote by placing $1 bills in a voting jar we will provide for you on your table in your tent. A representative from your team must deliver the jar to the concession stand no later than 1:00 pm to be eligible for the award.
- There will be two categories- fried and grilled.
Timeline for Event (tentative)
- 7 am – Teams allowed to start setting up
- 11:15 am – Judging for the Wing Festival Challenge
- 11 am – Entertainment Begins
- 11:30 am – Gates Officially Open to the public (Wings must be ready to serve)
- 1 pm(ish) – Winners will be announced
- 1:30 pm – Festivities Conclude
At the conclusion of the event, we ask that you help us by doing just a few quick things:
- Throw away all trash in and around your tent area.
- Throw away your tablecloths and clean the tables.
- Take your trashcan and trash to the dumpster.
- Break tables down and stack chairs.
- Break tent down.
- Please do not leave cooking utensils or tools – take all belongings with you.
- Do not empty your grease, coals, wood, etc. in the parking lot.
- Sponsors: $500
- Teams: $250 – includes one 40lb box of wings